The two most important points before consuming whey proteins are:
- Make sure you consume an authentic product.
- Make sure to consume the right quantity so that your body can break down the protein.
Meegan Hefford’s body wasn’t able to break down the amount of protein she was consuming which led to her death.
Yes, it is safe to consume whey protein. It is made of milk and doesn’t contain any harmful substances provided you consume an authentic product.
Also, consuming an authentic product is an absolute must to prevent any sort of diseases or worse. The Indian market primarily is a major country with high adulteration of products.
How do you identify authentic products?
- Authorized Importer’s seal: Any imported product should have an importer’s seal on the product. It is imperative to verify the product with the importer through their customer care email ID since many sellers paste fake importer stickers on the product.
- Verify with the manufacturer: Manufacturer verification will only identify the box and not the content inside. Importer verification, however, will make sure that the product has followed a secured supply chain.
- Mixability: 99% of adulteration happens in Whey Proteins and Mass Gainers since they yield higher profits to the vendors. Once adulterated, protein quality will not be the same as before. A genuine whey protein/isolates will mix wellwhen you mix it in your shaker for 25 seconds. You should not see any “insoluble” substances. Mass gainers normally take time to mix due to its heavy texture, but insoluble substances should still not be visible.
- Lab test: is an expensive option but the last resort to opt.
- QR Code/Scratch Code: All products may not have it but if one has it, make sure to verify it. QR Code may help you authenticate products but don’t confuse it with Barcode. Barcodes do not help in authentication of products.
- Source of Purchase: Make sure you buy products from a reliable source who follow a secure supply chain & doesn’t want to compromise with your health for money.